Introducing Fricke's Picks Radio: Log On, Tune In, Turn It Up

6:33 No Comment


Before I started autograph about music as my mission and living, my affection belonged to radio – specifically, the everything-goes FM bedrock & cycle broadcasting pioneered by Tom Donahue in San Francisco in the backward Sixties. I heard it in Philadelphia on WDAS and the aboriginal WMMR, in the affable allure and abreast passions of local-hero DJs such as Dave Herman, Michael Cuscuna, Michael Tearson, Ed Sciaky and My Father's Son – the endure so called because Steve Leon (his absolute name) was the son of the buyer of WDAS. Among the allowances of that connection: I bethink the night Leon played the MC5's "Kick Out the Jams" with the "motherfuckers" intro, as anon as it came out in February, 1969. He didn't get fired.


I had my attempt in academy radio, again for a year on a non-commercial FM base in Philly, hosting an hour of free-associative segues on Saturdays at midnight. Since then, I accept been advantageous and accustomed to circuit annal as a bedfellow DJ in Australia; on Sirius XM's Pearl Jam channel; and during this year's SXSW on KUTX in Austin, Texas with two abundant friends, KUTX host and Austin radio fable Jody Denberg and singer-songwriter and Beatles adept Robyn Hitchcock.


Back on the Air


I never got a job in broadcasting. But as a writer, I still aspire to the accomplished rock-radio ideals, decidedly the animated delicacy and uncompromised adorning spirit I consistently heard in British broadcasting fable John Peel. Fricke's Picks Radio is basically my activity and plan on the air, fatigued from every bend of my alert with no argumentation added than the activity at the moment – new releases, accepted belief and memorable gigs; those artists and annal who are consistently aural arm's ability of the stereo – and sequenced, I hope, as a abundant ride.


There may be capacity and comment on occasion; alive licenses will accordingly absolute some of my preferences; and abundance could get irregular, depending on deadlines and alley work. But aggregate you apprehend will appear from my own abundant circling and connected exploration. This countdown episode, for example, combines contempo autograph on Green Day, SXSW and an Ohio underground institution, the 15.60.75 Numbers Band; admired abandon by the Ramones and the Black Crowes (the closing about to go aback on tour); a nod to that morning on KUTX, arena Beatles annal with Robyn and Jody; and a activating small-club evening, a few weeks ago, with the fire-jazz quartet Mostly Added People Do the Killing.


The abbreviate description: This is what I do. This is how it sounds.


No hay comentarios :

 
Copyright © MagazineInside | Powered by Blogger