A MacGyver Chef Thanksgiving: Making Choco-Cranberry Mousse With a Hair Dryer

5:20 No Comment

To account this a lot of comestible holiday, I activate a ambrosia compound that, in accurate MacGyver fashion, can be fabricated with accessories activate in a auberge room. Here, a hair dryer provides heat—but couldn't save this disasterpiece.

This compound is for an ultra-simple chocolate-cranberry mousse, called for its artlessness (only a few easily-obtainable capacity and no avant-garde abilities needed). It's aswell acclimatized for Thanksgiving, getting a sticky-sweet ambrosia with cranberries, and doesn't crave any baking (only chilling, and this time of year, that agency "put it outside"). It does, however, crave some balmy calefaction to actualize both the amber abject and the mousse itself—and instead of application something arid like a bake or saucepan, you can in fact use an accustomed hair dryer.


A MacGyver Chef Thanksgiving: Making Choco-Cranberry Mousse With a Hair Dryer


Equipment:

• Handheld hair dryer

• Bond bowls (anything metal works—an ice bucket, aluminum tin the pie band came in, whatever)

• Barrel (or fork)

• Measuring cup

Ingredients:
• Pre-made pie crust

• 1 cup semisweet amber chips

• 1 cup vanilla-flavored white amber chips

• 1.75 cups abundant whipping cream, additional 2 tbsp

• Orange zest

• Whole-berry cranberry sauce

Notes: Compound acclimatized from this one—the aboriginal is a acceptable recipe, application acceptable tools, but "low heat" is just so cryptic that I started searching about for an abrupt antecedent of heat. I activate it in a hair dryer. Also, I cheated and acclimated a barrel to whip the cream, but a angle will do the job—it'll yield awhile and it's a bit of a acquaint workout, but it'll work.


A MacGyver Chef Thanksgiving: Making Choco-Cranberry Mousse With a Hair Dryer



Step 1:
Get your pie band ready. In the absorption of basic a compound that could be fabricated in a auberge room, I aboriginal approved one of those cookie crusts that doesn't charge baking—huge mistake. As anon as I approved to advance the amber abject on it, the band burst like my self-confidence, acceptable a accumulation of adhesive abominable amber cookie (pictured above). I concluded up traveling with a arctic pie crust, which abominably needs to be pre-baked—not actual MacGyvery.


A MacGyver Chef Thanksgiving: Making Choco-Cranberry Mousse With a Hair Dryer


Step 2:
Mix your gross vanilla-flavored chips with a bisected cup of the abundant chrism in a medium-sized metal bond bowl. Turn your hair dryer on top and authority it adjoin the basal of the bowl, and with your added duke activity the chip-cream admixture boring until smooth. Already it's bland (shouldn't yield added than a few minutes), awning and chill.

I activate the best way to accomplish this acclimation act was to point the hair dryer beeline up, put the basin on the nozzle, and columnist the accomplished ambiguous accoutrement into a table for some affectionate of stability. This is, of course, awful dangerous. Hopefully your hair dryer, like mine, is collapsed on the basal side, but if worse comes to affliction (or if you're some affectionate of wuss), accept somebody abroad authority the hair dryer.

Take addition bond bowl, or the aboriginal one if you've confused the after-effects of Footfall 2 to a altered vessel, and mix the semisweet amber chips with 2 Tbsp of the cream. Repeat the hair dryer chocolate-melting address and activity until smooth. Advance this amber admixture on the basal of the pie band and chill.


A MacGyver Chef Thanksgiving: Making Choco-Cranberry Mousse With a Hair Dryer


Step 3:
Beat the blow of the cream, 1.25 cups worth, until it's annealed aerated cream. This is affectionate of a affliction in the ass if you don't accept an electric beater, which if you're application this compound you absolutely don't, but it doesn't yield that continued with a whisk. As abundant as I'd like to use aerosol aerated chrism here, it will not work; you've got to bend some being into the aerated chrism and the aerosol blazon would deflate.


A MacGyver Chef Thanksgiving: Making Choco-Cranberry Mousse With a Hair Dryer


Step 4:
Bend the boilerplate amber dent admixture into the aerated cream, forth with about a third of a baby orange's account of zest. That's about a teaspoon, if you can amount out a way to in fact admeasurement zest. Actuality I ran into my a lot of anathema problem: My aerated chrism wasn't absolutely aerated enough. It seemed accomplished as I set down the whisk, but I assumption it wasn't annealed abundant because it array of absent its acerbity and angry into billowy chrism rather than aerated chrism already I bankrupt the boilerplate and orange bite into it. Try not to cry anon into this mixture: You'll wish to, because it's the a lot of black affair you've anytime cooked, but it will add exceptionable saltiness.


A MacGyver Chef Thanksgiving: Making Choco-Cranberry Mousse With a Hair Dryer


Step 5:
Get out your pie band and band about a third of a can of abhorrent cranberry gelatin artefact on top of the amber that's already there. Then band the agitation accumulation of nearly-whipped cream, abhorrent artificially flavored boilerplate amber chips, and orange bite on top of the cranberry. The compound I acclimated calls for you to run a knife through the accomplished pie to marble the white top with red from the cranberries, but I acclimated that jello cranberry stuff, which is too solid to absolutely advance blush around. I halfheartedly ran the knife through anyhow but it just looks like somebody absolutely anemic approved to allotment the pie and almost fabricated it through the aerated chrism layer. Anyway, arctic this blunder for about 6 hours while it sets.


A MacGyver Chef Thanksgiving: Making Choco-Cranberry Mousse With a Hair Dryer


Step 6:
Normally this endure footfall would be something airy like "Eat!" or "Enjoy!" or "Dig in!" but for God's account amuse do not do any of those things. Yeah, I may accept extra-ruined it with my un-whipped chrism and my can-shaped cranberry jello butt of sadness, but in my defense, I anticipate this pie had aught achievement to activate with. What I can say is that the hair dryer was not at fault—it's in fact not a abhorrent way to cook chocolate. Usually I'd use a bifold boiler but that's affectionate of a affliction to set up and candidly I anticipate the hair dryer did appealing abundant as acceptable a job.

How did it taste? It tasted abhorrent abundant that I in fact advised not announcement it because I anticipation it ability accident the all-embracing acceptability of American cuisine. It's abhorrent abundant that I wouldn't eat it while stoned, drunk, or actually starving. The basal band of amber was way too blubbery and harder (since it's just broiled amber with a tiny bit of cream, it's appealing abundant a bonbon bar, not a mousse), the by itself vomitous acidity of the cranberry clabber remained woefully unchanged, and the aerated chrism tasted like an orange-creamsicle-flavored anesthetic you ability get at the dentist.

This is the affliction affair I've anytime cooked. Please, cipher anytime accomplish this (at least, not the way I did).

Happy Thanksgiving!

No hay comentarios :

 
Copyright © MagazineInside | Powered by Blogger